Saturday 15 January 2011

Koyaliya Mat Kar Pukaar – Meghe Dhaka Tara



This title of this story isn’t my original invention. “Koyaliya Mat Kar Pukaar” I had read this in Shivani Gaura Pant’s book ‘Smriti Kalash”. She has written an essay on Begum Akhtar with this title. There is no similarity between my story and that essay. Where Shivani’s essay is dedicated to the singing talent of that great singer, I’ve chosen this title, because I couldn’t find a better title to share my feelings and describe myself.
The second title “Meghe Dhaka Tara” has been borrowed from a very famous film of Hrithvik Ghatak, of the same name, which means “star, surrounded by clouds”.
To know what is the connection between this name and my story, you’ve to wait for the second part of this story.

This story describes those moments of my life, between 2007 and 2009, which I’ve not mentioned in my diary completely, but have recalled them, endless times in my mind.
Those things are unforgettable documents of my life, a chapter, which I will never ever forget in my life, which will always make me feel its presence, like pieces of shattered glass.

Today, while having an evening walk on terrace, I was thinking about things discussed, on chat with Suresh. Suresh Nandigam is my Orkut friend and also an IAS aspirant. 2010 was his fourth and last attempt, but he couldn’t clear the preliminary test, since then he’s very depressed and frustrated. Today I consoled him after many efforts, and cheered him up, but this incident also disturbed the peace of my mind and old memories, started to roam all over again in my mind. Incidents, that took place, one after another, their consequences and my life, running along with them…

In April of 2007, when I returned from Delhi, or should I say, had to return, nothing was same, as it was before my leaving for Delhi. I had become unwell and weak. Though at that point of time, I didn’t know, how much I was unwell or what was the diagnosis. I just knew that I have returned from the hectic schedule of Delhi and needed a much required break. I thought I would return for the coaching of June, but that thought never came true.

Everything went smooth initially, though there were some health issues, whom I was ignoring. Then, one such night of May, my condition worsened and next morning, I was taken to one of most efficient gastroenterologist of Jodhpur. He did some check-ups and said, “Everything is fine, it could be some kind of gastric trouble, but you need to admit immediately for 3 days, for some tests.”
That day, I heard the name of endoscopy for first time; I didn’t know what kind of test it is

Well, it was just the beginning of my long, endless, journey, full of pain and problems, which continued for 2 years, in one or other way.

Perhaps it was 19th or 20th of May, 2007, when I had endoscopy. That day, I woke up before 5, it was because of those drugs, which was given to me, the night before the test. Around 5 A.M., a nurse came to me and advised not to eat or drink, including water, as endoscopy is scheduled at 8 ., which eventually postponed to 12, and till then, my condition worsened, due to hunger and thirst. Need not to tell to those, who have gone through this test, but people, who are new to this, I can only say, that horrible experience can’t be described in words.

Those three days were like journey to hell, during which, several tests were done, which did nothing, except creating new problems. As per them, I was getting the best treatment, but for me, it was nothing less than worse.
I can’t describe that experience in words, which I had in those 3 days, as it can only be seen or felt by a person itself.

After returning from hospital, my condition worsened. For next 6-7 months, I spent most of the time on bed. It was a time, when I had left all hopes of getting completely well and spending a normal life, as before, needless to say, I was not in the condition dreaming to be IAS or study for it. In those days, it felt like somebody has transformed my colorful life into black and white. After 3 months of treatment, even Dr Mehta accepted that his treatment proved wrong for me, those heavy antibiotics, which were given to me, did nothing, except deteriorating my health. He couldn’t diagnose till the end, what was the exact problem, gastric trouble couldn’t cause this trouble, isn’t it?

From April to December, I went through severe mental and physical trauma. It seemed this saga of pain will never end. During these months, Allopathic, Ayurvedic, etc. there was no treatment, which I didn’t have. There was no temple, mosque or saint, where Papa didn’t go, for my good health.

Then, finally my condition started to improve, say it result of prayers or treatment, and on one morning of December, I took my diary, after several months. That day I realized, whatever has happened, now there is no place of anything worse than this. This is the bottom layer of my life and I have no place to go further down, now there is only one way from here, and that leads to upside.

Now you can consider this as an excuse to console myself or anything else, but at that point of time, even thinking this much was enough for me.

During those days, IAS 2008 notification arrived and I also filled the form, without thinking a lot about it. The time, when I filled the form, leaving my parents, I myself was not sure, whether I would be able to prepare for it, cracking it was a far more than it. In spite of this, I started to prepare for it.
During those days, I used to have heavy pain from forehead till neck-end and I had to take a long break, after preparing for 30-35 minutes.

However, I gave the examination; I had no hope to crack it, that’s why I didn’t prepare for mains examination. Finally results were out and for my surprise, I was selected for mains.
When I checked the answers with a magazine, I found out that I had scored 70-75 and 65 in History and General Knowledge, respectively. It couldn’t be considered a good score, but considering my conditions, it was satisfactory.

After that, I started to prepare for mains, with complete dedication, but still a big problem was waiting for me. I got a small cut on the upper side of index finger of my right hand, while working in kitchen. I ignored it, not giving it much attention, but when the wound began to swell and started to cause pain, I went over to a nearby clinic, which proved to be the biggest mistake for me. The doctor in clinic tried to treat it with his novice knowledge, which not only increased my pain, but also gave birth to a new nightmare for me.

For next 15 days, I couldn’t sleep even for one hour due to pain in finger. It felt like somebody is cutting my finger from inside by a sharp knife. Finally this saga of pain also ended. I had a surgery, just 3 days before my mains exam. It was minor for the doctor, but major for me, as my finger was not in the position, that I could even hold the pen with it. Finally I wrote the paper, with the help of middle finger. I used to take 3 pain killers in a day during exam, but it didn’t help much. I think, complete fault in this finger case was mine, if I hadn’t ignored my injury, then it would’ve been cured, much before my exams, but till the time, I realized, time was gone. I had screwed up my exam, and on that, doctor played the spoil-sport by saying, “your finger is in a worse condition, we can’t guarantee, whether it will ever be able to come back in original shape”.

After the exams, I went to hospital, where after the x-ray examination, doctor said, “You have got a pathological fracture in finger bone.” Now I was hearing this word (Pathological fracture) for the first time. I just understood that just after the surgery, my hand and finger couldn’t get proper rest, resulting in worsening of condition, instead of healing. On that, doctor shocked me, saying, “Your finger bone has become very weak, and worsened, so we may have to cut your finger”.

Please don’t get shocked reading this, I’m neither elaborating this, nor want any sympathy from you. You can verify this from Dr Ram Goyal, who’s one of the finest surgeons of Rajasthan. In those days, he used to tell my story to his every patient and acquaintance.

By god’s grace, I didn’t need to go for any other surgeries. Heavy antibiotics and dressings for continuous 2-3 months, helped in healing of my wound, though the scars of surgery and wound are still visible, making my index finger look different from others.

It was the time, when I lost my faith in god. Now I used to believe, that if god exists, we can’t believe on his existence so easily.

Nothing big happened, after this finger episode, except that in March’2009, result of IAS mains was out and I couldn’t clear it. I scored 738, which can’t be considered good enough, in any manner and can’t blame anybody for it too.
I began to prepare for IAS preliminary, once again.

3 comments:

Dimple Maheshwari said...

भगवान पर भरोसा नहीं श्रद्धा रखो...क्यों की भरोसा डगमगा सकता हैं....भरोसा हैं मतलब हम एक बार यह सोचते हैं....की उपरवाला कहीं हैं भी यान्हीं...फिर हम इस नतीजे पर आते हैं की हाँ वो हैं......ये गलत हैं.....हमे उस पर श्रद्धा होनी चाहिए....ऐसा करने से हम उसके होने ना होने की बहस से कई उपर उठ जाते हैं..!!!

Dimple Maheshwari said...

तुम बहुत अच्छा लिखती और सोचती हो...

Bhavana Lalwani said...

Thank you Dimple..thank you very much.